Are you facing a sudden leak at the base of the toilet? It may not be the best sign that you could have imagined. Life without a toilet can get very difficult for you. So if you are suddenly facing leaks, it’s an immediate time that you must look for a solution.
If the leak is just happening at the base, there may be signs that the problem is in the tree bolts or the wax ring. So the first thing that you need to do is to diagnose the problem. However, if you want to save up the money buy doing it by yourself, this is the perfect guide for you.
Solution for Tee Bolts
If you have a problem with the tee bolts, it is because they are loose. You need to tighten them. You can follow the steps below:
- Grab a pair of tweezers to help to tighten the screws.
- You need to reposition the toilet and make sure that it is sitting stable at a firm place.
- Continue to tighten the screws as much can be done. If it is not working, you may have to buy a new set.
- Remove the old tee bolts from the original position and then replace them with the new ones.
- Allow them to sit properly and your job will be done.
If this solution is not working, there may be a problem with the wax ring.
- How To Repair A Floor Jack That Won’t Hold Pressure | Hydraulic Floor Jack Troubleshooting
- How To Clear p0420 Code | What Does Code p0420 Mean
- How To Clean Throttle Position Sensor Body [Without Removing It]
Wax Ring Problem
The Wax Ring is a soft seal that sits right at the base in between the toilet outlet and the drain pipe. If the Wax Ring is damaged, the water may tend to leak at any time. In case of such issues, you have to reach out to the store to buy a new set. You can take the old Wax Ring for reference and then match the model with your toilet. Once done, you can follow the steps below to get the results.
- Shut off all the water outlets and inlets to the toilet. You can do so by shutting down the valves.
- Now you can flush it off so that the entire water stored in the tank gets removed.
- Once it is done, you need to unscrew the nut and then take out the remaining water in the pipe.
- If the old Wax Ring is already present, you may have to lift the toilet from the original position and then take it out.
- Place the toilet aside and then gently take out the old Wax Ring from the original position. Once it is done, you need to replace it with the new model.
- Make sure that the Wax Ring sits tightly in a proper position. You can now apply an external seal to make sure no leaks take place.
- Once this is done, you now have to re-install the toilet in the original position. Make sure that it sits properly and in a stable position.
- The Wax Ring replacement is done and now you can open the valves to let the water flow in. Wait for a few minutes to check if the leak is happening again or not.
At The Last
The above-mentioned guide will help you to solve the problem immediately. However, regular maintenance and flushing your toilet is the best way to get rid of these problems. To avoid a toilet leak, it is very important to keep all the things right and will reduce the water bills as well.
However, if this solution does not work for you can consider purchasing a new toilet only if the previous one is old. You can also contact a professional plumber to solve the problem by physically attending your home.