If you wish to witness signals in a frequency domain, an automotive oscilloscope is an ideal choice. This oscilloscope is a crucial gadget often used for troubleshooting sensors, communication data stream, primary and secondary ignitions, actuators, and solenoids. This tool is also useful in monitoring basic electrical waves in case of a vehicle breakdown.
Also, there are all-purpose oscilloscopes used in the maintenance of laboratory work and electronic equipment. Whether you prefer to upkeep your gadgets or a professional electrician, an automotive oscilloscope is an ideal choice.
In this post, we share with you the top-rated oscilloscopes, which are high-powered, great performers and true value for money. So before going threw with 10 best automotive oscilloscopes you just need to take care of a few things which are given below that make you your buying decision wiser and save your money as well.
Compared Best Automotive Oscilloscope
|Siglent SHS806||60 MHz||4GB||1GS/s|
|SainSmart DSO212||1 MHz||8 MB FD||—|
|Owon HDS1021M||20 MHz||—||100 MS/s|
|All-Sun 3 in 1||50 MHz||4K/channel||200 MSA/S|
|Autel MaxilM IM608||—||64GB||—|
|Hantek 1008C 8CH||60MHz||4K||—|
|Rigol DS1054Z||50 MHz||12 Mpts||1GSa/s|
|Launch X431 V Pro||1.3GHz||16 GB||—|
|Autel MaxiCOM MK808||1.5GHZ||32 GB||—|
|Launch X431 PROS Mini||1.4 GHz||32 GB||—|
Quick Tips To consider for Better Buying Decision
- Try picking an oscilloscope with functional triggering as it supports in managing the signal display and enables precise viewing.
- PC aspects build up electromagnetic noise. Hence, such interference must be avoided to maintain high precision.
- It is always a good and smart idea to pick this device from a notable and certified vendor.
- Properly understand the channel and bandwidth specifications.
- Download the user manual in order to learn sensitive information about the device and avail of the ease of use to save a lot of time and frustration.
10 Best Automotive Oscilloscope For 2020: Tested and verified
1. Siglent SHS806 Handheld Oscilloscope
6-MHz, 2-Channel, Multimeter Mode, 5.7” TFT-LCD Display
If you wish to buy one of the finest automotive oscilloscopes you must consider buying this one. The handheld oscilloscope from Siglent is popular among past and present buyers and has received favorable ratings. This 60MHz handheld, double channel digital oscilloscope is great to view electrical signals with a Multimeter to measure frequency, voltage, power, and duty cycle.
We liked its real-time sample rate of 1GS/s with a record length of 2Mpts ideal to acquire detailed waveforms. With its multiple math functions plus FFT and automatic cursor measurements, it is easy to perform an in-depth analysis of waveforms.
The automatic triggering determines signal patterns and enhances time base, triggering, and amplitude settings. Using its high-powered recorder, you can easily capture up to 18hours of waveforms.
- Real-time sample rate 1GS/s
- Record length of 2Mpts acquires up to 18 hours of detailed waveforms
- 5.7” color TFT-LCD with an internal division grid of 8 x 12
- Automatic triggers to isolate specific signals
- USB port to store data on 4GB maximum flash drive
- Serves multiple applications like electric automobile test, automotive electronics, plant automation control system, power system, and more
2. SainSmart DSO212 Digital Storage Oscilloscope
Pocket Size Portable
The SainSmart automotive oscilloscope is another excellent product worth buying. It comes with a colored display presenting an estimated AC current, like square, sine, sawtooth, and triangular waveforms.
You will find its operation easy and simple, using swipes and taps much like a smartphone. It is a compact-size portable device that easily fits into any pocket. We love the integrated 8 MB flash storage, which makes storing and transferring waveforms images convenient than ever.
The multipurpose DS212 is applicable in most of the applications like electronics maintenance, academic experiment, engineering, electronic tasks, etc. With its 2-channel functionality, it is ideal to perform most engineering, maintenance, and experimental projects.
- Compact, sleek, and powerful device
- Colored display
- Operation is easy and simple
- Small size conveniently fits inside any pocket
- Saving and transferring waveform is easy
- Extensively applicable in electronics maintenance, engineering, and experimental tasks
3. Owon HDS1021M Digital Multimeter and Handheld Oscilloscope
20MHz, Single Channel With Digital Storage
The next amazing product we would like to present is the Owon HDS1021M oscilloscope, which is a handy electrical unit combining a 20MHz, handheld, single-channel digital oscilloscope to view electronic signals with an auto-ranging and digitally operated Multimeter to measure DC and AC voltage.
Delivering a real-time sample rate of up to 100MS/s and recordable length of up to 6,000 points allow acquiring detailed waveforms. We personally liked 18 automated measurements like frequency, period, and others that allow an in-depth assessment of waveforms. It comes with dual modes of ranging – manual and automatic.
The diode check, continuity buzzer, and data holding functionality make it easy to use, read, and manage this oscilloscope.
- Handheld unit comes with a 20MHz
- Real-time sample rate of 100 MS/s
- Record length 6,000 points to obtained detailed waveforms
- Auto-ranging and manual Multimeter offering user control options
- 3.5” TFT-LCD to view measurements and waveforms
- USB port connects to PC
4. All-Sun 3 in 1 Digital Oscilloscope Handheld with USB Multifunction
Digital Scope Multimeter Meter 50MHz EM115A
You will find this user notification oscilloscope highly useful designed on the basis of air transport safety. Designed as per the research, debugging, production, and repair needs of various electronic engineers, it comes with an LED light standing for battery connection.
Powered with a lithium battery, it can perform well even on an external supply of power. It features beautiful appearance, friendly and clean interfaces, and compactness. We were glad to witness its accurate and quick faults of the circuit that offer great convenience working.
It is a three-in-one portable tool ideal in production, repairing, outdoor research, and production. The 3 trigger modes – single, normal, and auto, it is convenient to lock and store waveforms of non-periodic signals.
- A dedicated chip of 6000 counts offering high precision
- Lithium battery as well as external supply power
- 3-in-1 tool, Scope + Signal Generator + Multimeter
- Colored LCD display
- 50MHz single channel 200 MSa/S maximum real-time sampling rate
5. Autel MaxilM IM608 Key Programming Diagnostic Tool
IMMO Key Programmer XP400
The Autel MaxilM diagnostic tool is an advanced and all in one diagnostic and key programming tool available with advanced key programming, advanced services, and all systems diagnostics.
You will love the android-based 10.1-inch touchscreen tablet that makes viewing everything easier. We really liked the multi-protocol Pass-thru vehicle interface, which is fully compliant and designed exclusively to offer convenience with PC communication. Its IMMO application is a unique solution offering expert and smart mode. You, therefore, gain complete guidance on performing IMMO related functions such as remote control learning, key learning, remote control add, and more.
In addition to retrieving ECU information, it allows viewing live data and is powered by the XP400 key programmer to offer complete coverage and programming functions.
- Equipped with powerful IMMO
- XP400-Clone and generates exclusive keys
- Advanced programming functions with OE-level diagnostics
- Special functionalities like DPF, EPB, Oil reset, TPMS sensor, SAS, and more
- Expert mode for advanced learning
- Smart mode for automated and guided learning
- Built-in 8 megapixel rear camera with flashlight and autofocus
- Internal 64GB on-board memory for advanced performance
- [4 Working Methods] How to Remove Oil Stains From Your Driveway or Garage
- How Do Torque Sticks Work: The do’s & Don’ts Guide
- 🥇Best Automotive Oscilloscope Review To Buy 
6. Hantek 1008C 8CH Automotive Diagnostic PC Oscilloscope
2.0 Bandwidth 100K Program Generator
Here we share another excellent product from Hantek 1008C series. This 8-channel automotive oscilloscope is an adaptable unit created to assess and carry out distinct kinds of tests on an automotive.
It is specifically designed for automobiles and is one of the robust and durable options available for automobile mechanics. It is a great tool for vehicle testing. It holds the ability to display all cylinders waveform simultaneously. It holds a good exhaust gas analyzer and an ignition analyzer. We loved working with 8 paradigms making it easy to view analog signals of a camshaft, crankshaft, and others.
The powerful data acquisition system comprises DAQ hardware, actuators, and sensors with programmable software. It is powered by DAQ card function that measures physical or electrical phenomenon.
- A cost-efficient tool for vehicle testing
- Efficient to store data to discover a hidden problem
- Visualizes ignition spark and displays ignition waveform in all cylinders
- Incorporates crankshaft rotation measurement ruler useful to observe all engine cycles
7. Rigol DS1054Z Digital Oscilloscopes
The automotive oscilloscope from Rigol is another great product that is worth buying. It boasts of its rich features and key design, which makes it a true value for money.
The specification comes in a 4-channel scope implying it accommodates more than one device for groundbreaking ultra-vision technology. It runs at a bandwidth of 50MGHz and is a solid built of 13 x 7 x 5 inches. With a weight of 6.6 pounds, it is a portable device ideal for frequent travelers.
It comes with a real-time sample rate of 1GSa/s to display and can assess high waveforms of up to 30000wfms/s. With storable and playable waveforms up to 60000 frames and Ethernet and USB connectivity, it will add to your convenience.
- Above-average speed, frequency range, and bandwidth
- Caters excellently efficient systems
- 4-channels offer additional benefits of usability
- 12 Mpts expandable memory
- Deep ultra-vision
- Ultra-fast sampling and more efficient analysis
8. Launch X431 V + Upgraded Version of X431 V PRO
Bi-Directional Diagnostic Scan Tool with 20 Reset Functions
Next, we have this amazing diagnostic tool with a 10.1 inches display presenting waveform data to help you quickly identify improper functioning parts and swiftly resolve the issue.
While the Android 5.1 OS delivers smooth diagnosis experience, the Bluetooth connectivity offers great convenience and lets you diagnose vehicles with ease. It is a durable design holding resistance to dust, grease, drops, and water. The 7000mAh battery capacity guarantees a continuous use of gadgets for around 4-6 hours in a single charge.
The ECU Coding function caters to numerous applications. Existing users loved its one-button VIN scanning, supporting a swift diagnosis, 11 special functions, and all systems diagnose.
- ECU coding and Robust All Systems Diagnostics
- 20 different types of resetting services
- Bi-directional control active test to perform specific assessments
- Fast troubleshooting and reading live data and codes
- High performance-price ratio with LENOVO display tablet
- 7000mAh rechargeable battery and 32GB storage capacity
- Works efficiently on the electronic control system
Automotive OBD2 Scanner
You will love this automotive oscilloscope from Autel, which can be conveniently used for innumerable vehicle models. With its Smart AutoVIN technology, we were able to easily identify the vehicle.
The TPMS or Tires Pressures Monitoring System service is an excellent support to vehicles for registration, inputting TPSM sensor replacement IDs, and sensor IDs. Using the 7-inches touch screen LED, you can gain exceptional experience enabling you to access intuitive navigation. Further, the Android OS enhances efficiency and performance while 32GB memory ensures a slow response is reduced.
The in-built memory lasts to 4.5 hours in a single charge enabling you to use most of the tools in the machine such as shop manager, data manager, and remote desk. The automatic system and software updates with real-time push message notifications impart effectiveness and ease.
- Specific IMMO function safeguards vehicle from being stolen.
- TPMS service allows relearning TPMS sensors
- In-built with BMS/SAS/DPF/OLS/EPB service
- Reads and deletes codes allowing full car detection
- Showcase live data in graph, text, and analog
- Advanced hardware with an A9 processor, 32GB memory, and 7-inches LCD touch screen
10. Launch X431 PROS Mini
B-Directional Diagnostic Scan Tool
Finally, we have this high-powered and robustly engineered oscilloscope from Launch, which comes with a 6.9 inches high-resolution touch screen clearly presenting malfunction data and waveform graph comparison. You will gain more comfort while using its Android OS with a new UI interface that consistently enables you to access testing different components effortlessly.
It not only generates more precise readings faster but also holds shorter booting and response time. With its wireless Bluetooth diagnoses, it is easy to connect this tool with your vehicle even when it is located at a specific distance. This makes diagnosis much easier.
It is an ideal choice if you are looking for a compact, portable, and lightweight design. With ECU coding in this tool, it is compatible with numerous vehicles. Anti-theft matching, tooth learning, electronic parking brake reset, battery maintenance, and technology backup are other rich features of this tool.
- An excellent bi-directional control active test
- Enables swift troubleshooting of car
- Updates software in a click and for two years
- Equips Android 7.1 operating system
- Color HD touchscreen
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Datastream playback and record
- Supports auto VIN detect
- Perform active test and service functions in multiple vehicles
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose an Automotive Oscilloscope
The automotive oscilloscope is an essential tool for solenoids, troubleshooting sensors, secondary ignitions, actuators, and perform other checks when a vehicle breakdown. They are popularly known as engine analyzers, motor tester or automotive lab scope.
If you wish to pick the best automotive oscilloscope, you must consider this detailed guide into consideration
What is an Automotive Oscilloscope?
An automotive oscilloscope is a sort of electronic test device created to graphically display distinct sorts of signal voltages like a two-dimensional plot of multiple signals as a function of time. This device tests electronic gadgets using electronic signals generated by a device.
It displays the details from the signal in the form of a graph displaying a relationship between two or multiple variables on two axes, the horizontal and vertical axis. While the vertical axis display voltage, horizontal axis display time. The graph displays various properties like frequency, amplitude, wavelength, and many others.
In addition to electric signals, more other investigations can be made using an oscilloscope. It is useful to study an extensive range of physical processes like vibrations and sound can be converted to voltages or electricity.
Earlier there were simple, conventionally designed oscilloscopes available. But now technologically advanced, digital oscilloscopes have become a favored choice among the users. From medical, engineering, telecommunications and laboratory science, oscilloscopes are useful in various industries.
Oscilloscope Is Used For?
When assessing the circuits, grounding and power supplies, the signals change too fast to check with a Multimeter. Moreover, there are no breakdown codes saved within ECU but the problem persists because a trouble code is recorded when there is trouble or broken to the negative or power supply, or the actuator or sensor is faulty. But if an actuator or sensor has stopped functioning in the mid-position, it holds no DTC record.
In such situations, the automotive oscilloscope is an ideal instrument that lets you easily observe output signals from slow-charging analog signals, inductive sensors, charging currents, beginner current waveforms, and more. It visualizes the ignition spark processes to isolate intermittent issues and shows ignition waveforms on a cylinder but shows cylinders simultaneously.
Should you purchase a scan tool and oscilloscope in a single unit?
It is not a good idea to purchase a scan tool and an oscilloscope in a single unit. The main reason is that both these tools cannot be used simultaneously or at once. Moreover, an oscilloscope is a scan tool meaning that both units share a printed circuit board and the same power supply. Moreover, this kind of oscilloscope does not function as a good automotive unit.
Features Of An Automotive Oscilloscope
It is the most important aspect to consider. You must avoid picking a tool originally designed for industrial and scientific applications. These scopes need a lot of time on training and learning. Usually, they don’t have any pre-set functionalities and are not capable of measuring vehicles without adapters.
The user interface of an automotive oscilloscope must be able to edit or add new inputs. It must probe for ignition pick-ups, high voltage measurements, pressure transducers, current clamps, temperature sensors, and more. It is great if it comes with a built-in waveform pattern and allows adding custom waveforms.
You must be able to clearly visualize the ignition spark process and display cylinders next to each other in a parade-style. If it comes with a complete 720 degrees crankshaft rotation measurement ruler, it allows easy observing of all engine cycles.
It is the rate of the number of times each second the oscilloscope samples the circuit during a test. Most oscilloscopes hold two distinct sampling modes or rates – Equivalent time sampling and real-time sampling mentioned in Giga or Mega samples per second.
When choosing an oscilloscope, you must be aware of the kind of sampling the specification applies to. For automotive tracking, real-time sampling is ideal and 20 million samples in a second is an excellent rate.
It defines the top frequency electrical signals that the scope displays. It displays a correct representation of the waveform, you need to ensure that the bandwidth of oscilloscope is higher than the maximum signal frequency you wish to measure.
Devices with high-bandwidth can be expensive. Hence, you need to compromise on it. Hence, it is best to pick a tool that offers two times bigger than the maximum measured frequency.
It is the oscilloscope ability to rectify small voltages and it relies on numerous parameters like:
- Input attenuator circuit
- ADC or Analog to Digital Converter
- Number of bits of embedded analog to digital converters
- Kind of input signal preamplifier
The memory depth is the size of buffer memory where gathered data is stored. A device with an in-depth memory enables users to maintain a high sample rate for a longer time period. A tool with limited memory depth prevents oscilloscope from collecting waveform correctly as the sample points are positioned far apart.
Input Ranges and Probes
Moreover, do look for the manufacturer offering accessories with an oscilloscope to extend the input range and application of the device. The input range of an oscilloscope can be extended to perform existing signal or high voltage measurements like secondary or primary ignition, injectors, and more.
An oscilloscope may come with different probes like an inductive pick-up clamp, capacitive clamp, and attenuator, AC coupling adapter, current clamp, and more that must either match or exceed your scope’s bandwidth.
Oscilloscopes may have one channel, four channels, two channels, or up to ten channels. Consider the total number of signals to display while selecting an oscilloscope. A single channel is ideal to perform a fast assessment and identify the presence of a signal.
Double channels are useful for crankshaft or camshaft correlation and reading signals from sensors, coil waveforms, and injectors.
Automotive with four or more channels are used simultaneously to view the ignition circuit required or dealing with a breakdown in a no-start condition. It also allows looking at the major outputs and inputs together and determines fast the fault.