Through this article, we would shed light on how to successfully drill a hole into a glass without breaking it and this is something you would definitely want to know. It is one of the most needed jobs at home while repairing. Handyman or not, this technique is sure to interest you. Let us look at what all is needed and how it is done.
Requirements For Task
Basically 6 things Needed
- Drilling machine
- Carbide Bit
- Glass to be drilled
- Cardboard piece
- Rubber pad for support
Steps To Make Hole In A Glass
- The first step requires determining the type of glass you want to drill. It could be a wine bottle, aquarium or tiles. Having a regular power drill would do the job otherwise you can easily buy it from nearby stores.
- The key material used is a diamond or carbide bit which is intended for this purpose as they have a spade-shaped end and can withstand the friction. You cannot simply use any bit for drilling into a glass, so be careful in choosing the bit. The bit should be of good quality otherwise it could break in between. You can get them online as well as at stores.
- As the glass possesses a smooth surface, tape a cardboard piece in order to provide support to the bit and prevent it from slipping away from the point where you want the hole.
- Begin at a low rpm to create a mark initially and then continue drilling at 400 rpm.
- You may also pour a little oil both during and before drilling if you are drilling on a horizontal surface so that the bit remains cool and sharp for a longer period of time. Motor oil or kerosene or any other basic oil can be used in this case. Even Spraying water at intervals would work.
- A hammer drill should not be used as it could damage the drill bit. We advise you to stay at least three-quarters away from the edge that you are drilling if you don’t want to break the glass.
- Placing a rubber pad under the glass will help in absorbing the vibrations caused by drilling and further smoothen the procedure.
- [Comparison Guide] DeWalt DWS779 Vs DWS780 with 5 Major Difference
- Your Brain Literally Can’t Function Without Sleep
- How Sleep Deprivation Affects Work Performance: Science Of Sleep
A good technique of drilling that we would suggest is to drill the hole half-way and then resume drilling the same hole from the backside. This would end up creating an off-center hole but it would help to minimize the risk of breaking the glass, our ultimate priority.
- Set the drilling speed appropriately otherwise it can build up heat and eventually would destroy the drill bits. Try using the trigger slowly first and observe the sounds it makes at different speeds. It would then become easier to regulate it when you actually start the job.
- Avoid wearing loose, long clothes and dangling jewelry like a necklace or bracelet as you will not want to be caught by the machine.
- Do not rush into it. This work requires patience. Your hurry could result in breaking the glass and getting yourself injured too.
- Wear safety goggles, gloves and mask to avoid inhaling the glass dust. If you are allergic to such dust, avoid doing it yourself.
- Do not put pressure on the drill as it would break the glass.
- The glass should be firmly supported by the backside. The edges of the hole might get chipped on the backside.
- Never drill any holes in tempered glass. It would immediately break. To check if the glass is tempered or not, check the edges of the glass. If they are etched, the glass is tempered, otherwise not.
- People have asked if they could use a titanium bit instead of a small hole to which we say a diamond bit should be used.
- Another question asked is if a hole can be made on the window of a car door. The answer to this is a big no. The car window has a tempered glass that would immediately break.
- How to drill a hole in a milk bottle? This can be a bit tough as the milk bottle is delicate glass. You may need to wrap a tough tape around and then slowly, make a pivot hole. Then you may continue with the procedure given above.
- Can earrings be made out of broken glass? The answer to this is yes. It is possible and you might want to research some more into it before performing it so that you get the desired results.
- How can the scratches in glass be removed is another question. For this, we suggest you use brass polish wading of a good company.
- How to hold the smaller pieces of glass while drilling? You will need to clamp wood strips of the same thickness against the piece of glass and then help to get a curved edge with a tool. Stick them together in place with glue that could be removed later when the work is done.
- Another asked question is how are glass edges beveled? The answer is to use a micro sander but keep the precautions in mind while doing the same to not break the glass.
We hope that this article helped you with all the queries you might have on this particular topic. Make sure you follow the safety measures mentioned above to not get injured. Avoid having children around while performing such tasks. These tasks should only be performed by adults or in the supervision of adults. Learn how to fix these small tasks for which you have always depended on an outsider and save that extra money.