Do you belong to the automotive repair world?
Do you work as an auto technician?
Sure, you must be aware of how strenuous it is to repair cars with your back bending. And if it is a truck or SUV that needs to be repaired, you’ve undoubtedly wondered if there is a more convenient way to reach out to those difficult areas like doing an engine check, or more.
Truly speaking, the role of an automatic mechanic is quite challenging. You have to bend down or reach up to elevated areas for servicing or repair work. At times, it can even injure your back from bending. Luckily, we’ve got you covered! We bring you an ultimate solution – a topside creeper.
A topside creeper, also known as over engine creeper is the best way out to keep carrying your repair or servicing works without feeling tiresome or getting injured. Out there are varieties of overhead creepers available each having many exclusive features but delivering the same functionality of lending you additional support to maintain or repair your cars. So, which one is just ‘best’ for you?
To help you figure out the best topside creeper and to make sure all your purposes are met to the fullest, we bring you this best guiding post. Our team has reviewed plenty of creepers and hence decided to tell you everything to help you pick the best one.
So, let’s get started!
What is a Topside Creeper?
A topside creeper is a foldable and adjustable workstation that helps auto mechanics or auto technicians increase safety, productivity, and comfort while working from the top side of the engine compartment. With it, you can work over the hood of any engine compartment for long hours without feeling any discomfort or strain.
Mounted over the top section of the ladder is a cushioned or padded deck offering mechanics complete support to rest upon while making it easier to access the engine compartment. Even if it is an SUV, truck, or lifted vehicle, a topside creeper is what you need.
2019 Top Rated Topside Creepers: Value for Money
Traxion 3-700 ProGear
With a wide wheelbase, this is one of the best topside creepers offering great support and stability for mechanics up to 400lbs. It comes with an I-base design that offers more flexibility while repairing or servicing the vehicle. The synthetic rubber 5-inch casters offer convenient navigation over and around usual miscellaneous parts and pieces.
It is a space-saving product, which can be folded and conveniently stored in a compact space. No matter how long you have to do engine work, with this creeper, things will be easier and comfortable.
- I-shape wheelbase delivers better positioning
- Adjustable height of up to 75 inches
- 140 inches of engine compartment accessibility
- Upholstered covers facilitate convenient deck replacement
- Weight holding capacity of 400LBS
- Assembles in 12 minutes
- Excellently durable and flexible.
- Offers convenient access from the ground
- Comfortable top
- Foldable and adjustable to varying heights
- It is quite heavy to lift
Traxion 3-100 Foldable Topside Creeper
If the above-mentioned creeper seems expensive to you, this one is an affordable alternative available. It is a heavy-duty design that holds well in an abrasive and greasy environment of repairing bay.
The USP of this creeper is its easy foldable mechanism and firm support. The two pins hold the creeper at one place and support pieces at its base.
The adjustable height ranges from 48 inches to a maximum of 65 inches. Still, you can easily work on Pickup trucks and SUVs. The wide base offers great side-to-side stability. It holds weight holding capacity of 70 pounds and is an excellent choice for mechanics under 260 pounds. For those looking for an affordable topside creeper, this one is surely the best.
- Heavy-duty design
- Lightweight of 70 pounds
- Wide base offers firm support
- Adjustable height up to 65 inches
- Renders great support to the upper torso
- One of the most affordable and longest-running options
- Easily folds to compact size
- Can be adjusted to varying heights to cater to various works
- Durable and stable
- Locking pins keep it secure at one place
- Vinyl cover is quite susceptible to get torn or poked
ATD Tools 8116F Foldable Topside Creeper
Next, we have in our list a durable and heavy-duty topside creeper from a reputed brand. It is an excellent alternative to the above-mentioned creepers. This creeper is engineered using heavy-duty gauge steel with a powder coating finish to prevent scratches as well as other impact damages.
Offering the ease of adjustable height, it lets you extend from 44 inches to a height of 64 inches. It holds weight holding capacity of 400 LBS and comes with a padded deck in durable vinyl. While locking casters offer firm support, convenient folding makes it easy to store even when space is less. With this all-round over the head creeper, you can have convenient access to trucks or SUVs.
- Heavy-duty design offering long-lasting functionality
- Locking casters offer firm support
- Weight-bearing capacity of 400 LBS
- Extends up to a maximum height of 64 inches
- Heavy-gauge steel with powdered coating finish
- Cushioned deck
- Easy to fold
- Can be stored in small, compact space
- Offers firm stability
- Excellent weight holding capacity
- Cushioned or padded deck offers great comfort
- It is slightly expensive compared to other options.
Omega 91000 Black 40″ Foldable Z
The unique 2 in 1 design of Omega Foldable Z creeper makes it a highly attractive unit. Simply pulling off its pin converts this flat creeper into a Z shape mechanic chair. As a result, you get convenient and comfortable access while detailing your car or working on brakes. No matter which car you are working on, its exclusive design makes it work well for all.
The six 3-inch polyurethane wheels offer excellent support of up to 450 pounds. Though not cushioned, this creeper is a thick and nice quality offering complete comfort to the user. Its 2 in 1 design and excellent engineering, makes it a wonderful creeper for auto technicians.
- Comes in 2 in 1 design
- Single pulling converts it into a creeper or seat in seconds
- Thick and comfortable headrest and padded seat
- 40 inches of steel frame construction
- Huge wheels ensure the creeper does not move at all
- Unique Z shape design
- Solid frame construction
- Comfortable and thick seating
- Easy to assemble by just pulling off the pin
- Folds easily to let you store it conveniently
- Flexible positioning
- It is not possible to adjust the height of this creeper.
Whiteside Over Engine Creeper
For auto technicians who want a creeper that adjusts to a decent level and is quite affordable, the over engine creeper from Whiteside is an ideal choice.
It is a smaller alternative to above-mentioned creepers and can be adjusted from 43.25 inches to a maximum of 57.75 inches height. The additional padding of this unit makes it highly comfortable.
The creeper holds a weight-bearing capacity of 300LBS. It has a heavy-duty steel frame with powdered coating finish that prevents against damage and scratches.
The 2 casters add to its portability. You will love the way it assembles easily in just a few minutes. It may have lower weight capacity but is an affordable alternative to other premium options.
- 2 wheel casters for portability
- Can withstand the weight of up to 300 LBS
- Heavy-duty steel frame construction
- Powder coating finish
- Simple assembly
- Can be adjusted to a maximum height of 57.75 inches
- Strong and sturdy body
- Offers firm support
- Easy to fold and store
- Powdered finish prevents scratches and external damage
- Reasonably priced
- Lack of additional casters
- Lower weight-bearing capacity
REL Stapleton REL100020
Finally, we have the robust topside creeper from REL Stapleton. This foldable creeper requires less storage space and lets you work easily when assembled. It comes with a completely padded frame and changeable upholstery cover that makes it easy to clean, maintain and replace. With an excellent maximum height, it lets technicians to clearly view 40% of the compartment and sections in the engine.
In addition to making mechanic safer, the upholstered cover smoothly slides over a sling, which works wonder to enhance comfort. It holds decent weight-bearing capacity and lets you work in a fixed position. The two wheels make it quite portable and an ideal product for your garage or home.
- Heavy-duty steel frame construction
- Upholstered deck, which is secured with a Velcro
- Let you view 40% of the engine’s compartment easily
- Two-wheel casters offer easy movement
- Can be folded to the compact size
- Decent weight-bearing capacity
- Can be stored in small space
- Easy to assemble
- Sturdy construction that lasts longer
- Keeps the mechanic safer
- Durable and solid to last long
- Does not comes with additional latches
Redline Engineering Top Side Creeper
Another topside overhead creeper in our list is from Redline that comes with a tool tray. This ensures that all your tools are always in easy reach. This creeper has 3 varying angular positions, which fit well around most of the vehicles. Thereby, it gives excellent and comfortable access to different compartments in an engine.
With an adjustable height of a maximum of 68 inches, it gives a clear view of most of the SUVs and lifted trucks. This foldable unit can be folded flat, and hence, offers an easy storage option. It comes with four 3 inch casters providing easy maneuverability. The padded deck provides absolute comfort and make sure you don’t get tiresome while working for long hours.
- Heavy-duty steel frame construction
- Comes with an inbuilt tool tray offering easy access to all your tools
- Can be positioned to 3 different angles to gain a clear view of different engine compartments
- Adjustable to a maximum height of 68 inches
- Foldable and lightweight
- Four 3 inch caster wheels offer great support
- Great weight holding capacity
- Adjustable height to multiple levels
- Requires less storage space
- Cushioned deck for added comfort
- Tool case ensures tools are always in reach
- The upholstered top is non-removable
Topside Creeper Buying Guide
You now know about some of the best topside creepers available in the market. While these are undoubtedly the best, still, it is better to conduct in-depth research while investing your money in this one of the most comfortable garage accessories. For this, you must take into consideration some important aspects, which will make it easier for you to pick the most suitable topside creeper.
So, here check our comprehensive buying guide that lets you know about all important aspects to consider while shopping for a topside creeper.
What All Aspects to Consider While Buying Creeper?
Sure, you want to pick the most suitable overhead creeper. Quickly glance at all the aspects that you must take into consideration.
Construction or Engineering
The environment in your garage is tough. Hence, you need a product that fits well to this rough and tough ambiance. A topside creeper with durable construction and high-quality engineering will solve your problem. One made with heavy-duty steel frame and coated with powder finish possess resistance to scratches and external damages. Avoid going for creepers made with the cheap quality or weaker materials. Even, they will not be able to deliver great weight holding capacity.
Weight Holding Capacity
Different types of creepers have varying weight holding capacities. Definitely, a unit made with good – quality material serves better, but still, check for an individual weight-bearing capacity of the unit. This is essential to make sure you can stand firmly and feels safe while working for long hours.
The core purpose of buying a topside creeper is to avail additional height while working on an automobile’s engine. Hence, the creeper height is the most important factor to consider. Each model differs with its minimum and maximum height adjustment functionality. Many of them range from as less as 43 inches to as high as 72 inches. If your work involves regular repair of lifted trucks, go for a taller creeper or one with maximum height adjustment.
Most of the topside creeper models are foldable and hence can be transformed to compact-sized. But a bulky creeper needs more storage space than a light one. If you have limited storage space in your garage or you wish to lift the creeper, make sure you go for a lightweight option.
Padding or Cushioned
Repairing an auto is a time-intensive process. Hence, you have to be absolutely comfortable while working long hours. Creepers with additional padding offer great comfort. Definitely, you would not want to lean upon solid steel deck. Therefore, consider buying a kind of creeper with the cushioned or padded deck as it is the place where you will be spending most of your time. We suggest you pick a model that has durable covering with additional padding.
All topside creepers have caster or wheels at the bottom for movement around the garage. With more casters at the base, easier it is to move the creeper. But at the same time, they must come with locking latches to secure you in a fixed position while working. For best movement, top side creepers with four wheels are an ideal pick.
In addition to the above-mentioned aspects, look for additional features that a topside creeper holds for you. Angular positions, flexibility, headrest, design, and upholstery are other additional features that you may consider. This is a great way to figure out whether you are getting good value for money or not.
Tips to Safely Use a Topside Creeper
Buying a creeper is one thing, but using it is a different thing. No matter which model you pick, safety is of paramount importance as even a small failure can lead to a major mishappening. Here some important safety tips to consider while using this properly.
- Before you begin your work, inspect the creeper for any damage to its part. If any of its part is loose or damaged, avoid using the creeper.
- Make sure all bolts and nuts are firm in their position. Even small friction or movement can pose a safety hazard to the person working on it. The creeper must rest sturdy in one position while you are working on it.
- All casters of the creeper must work smoothly and lock in place when in use.
- Inspect the angular adjustment bar. This is vital to ensure you don’t experience any problem while climbing up or down the creeper.
- The creeper must offer you complete support and comfort while working. If you experience any issue avoid using it right away.
- Avoid overloading the creeper to its maximum weight-bearing capacity. Most importantly, don’t use creeper when the car engine is still running.
Every topside creeper different in design and features, but offers the same functionality. Just pick the most suited model to add great convenience and comfort at work. With a top side creeper by your side, you can gain easy access to all areas and compartments of SUVs or lifted trucks, which are otherwise difficult to reach. Most importantly, It lets you work comfortably, safely, and without letting you experience any stress or fatigue even you work for extended hours.